Foxtail Millet known as Kauni in local language is a native millet variety grown in Uttarakhand. Foxtail Millet is a delicious and nutritious gluten-free grain that is a good source of protein, fiber, and essential minerals.
BENEFITS OF FOXTAIL MILLET:
- Good For Diabetes: Foxtail millets are rich in fiber content which is very essential in regulating blood sugar levels. The low glycemic index ( 50.8 ) of this millet is a very good alternative for diabetics low GI diet has been shown to reduce blood glucose levels, lipid parameters, and glycosylated hemoglobin. Foxtail millet Dosas, biscuits, and sweets can be the best alternative for people having fluctuating blood sugar levels.
- Lowering Blood Cholesterol: Foxtail millet contains amino acids (Lecithin and Methionine) which lessen the cholesterol level by driving out the excess fat from the Liver. Foxtail Millet also contains amino acid (Threonine) which hinders the formation of fat in the liver, which makes the cholesterol level of the body sink.
- Good for Heart Health: Vitamin B1 assists in the formation of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine which helps to transfer the message between muscle and nerves. It also safeguards the functions of cardiac. The deficiency of Vitamin B1 leads to improper functions of the cardiac. Patients with congestive heart failure find Vitamin B1 helpful and prevent heart ailments.
- Helps in weight loss: Foxtail contains an amino acid (Tryptophan) which will trim your appetite and help to tighten your belly. Foxtail millet gets digested at a slower rate thus keeping one away from taking extra calories. The fibers present in foxtail millet give a feeling of fullness which helps to control excessive food consumption.
- Improves Immunity: Foxtail millet is a good source of many vitamins and minerals it helps us build strong immunity. Good immunity helps us to fight against many diseases spread by microorganisms. It also helps us to recover fast from serious illnesses.
- Helps relieve constipation: As it’s a good fiber source it helps in curing constipation in kids as well as adults. Include more vegetables and fruits along with foxtail millet to overcome constipation.
- Gluten-Free: All millets, including barnyard millet, are gluten-free. Hence, millets can be an excellent choice for those who have celiac disease.