- “Jakhya” is the most unexplored yet the most significant Garhwali Food Ingredient "
- Also known as wild mustard or tickweed, Jakhya seeds are small, dark brown or black.
- Actually it is a weed and used to grow wild in the fallow land or fields on its own every year. It is found naturally between 500-1500 metres of altitude all over the Uttarakhand Mountain areas.
- Jakhya is traditionally used in Uttarakand for tempering (Tadka) on culinary dishes. It has a crisp texture and nutty flavor that enhances the taste of dishes.
- Use it to flavour dry vegetables, fried rice, curries or any dish instead of Mustard or Jeera for Tadka.