Barnyard Millet known as Jhangora in local language is a native millet variety grown in Uttarakhand. Barnyard Millet is a delicious and nutritious gluten-free grain that is a good source of protein, fiber, and essential minerals.
BENEFITS OF BARNYARD MILLET:
- Good For Diabetes: Barnyard millet is very high in dietary fiber and protein. Hence, it is more beneficial for diabetes than wheat and other grains. Also, research says that barnyard millet has a low glycemic index of 41.7. Hence, it will not raise your blood sugar levels quickly. Barnyard millets also help improve the lipid profile of diabetic patients. Therefore, diabetic patients can consume these millets as a substitute for rice.
- Helps Reduce Blood Cholesterol Levels: Barnyard millet is low on carbs and fat.100 grams of barnyard millet contains just 3.6 grams of fat. Thus, people who eat barnyard millet in day-to-day life can keep a healthy heart. Also, it helps lower the total cholesterol levels in the body. Hence, barnyard millet helps weight loss and boosts metabolism.
- Rich In Antioxidants: Barnyard millets contain a lot of phytochemicals, such as polyphenols. They act as antioxidants and detoxifying agents. Hence, they protect us from many diseases, including heart diseases, diabetes, and cancer.
- Helps Relieve Constipation: Barnyard millet contains a decent amount of both soluble and insoluble fiber. Dietary fibers leave the body in the same way as they are eaten. And consequently, they help in the digestion and excretion of waste materials. Grains have always been seen as constipation relievers. And, barnyard millet is one of the best things to eat if a person is suffering from constipation.
- Strengthens Immune System: Barnyard millets contain a reasonable amount of iron and zinc. Both zinc and iron are essential for our immune system. So, ultimately, eating barnyard millets benefits the body to deal with invading substances and infections.
- Gluten-Free: All millets, including barnyard millet, are gluten-free. Hence, millets can be an excellent choice for those who have celiac disease.